I have been working on my new book, which, most likely, will have the word “Line” in the title. So, I decided to do a little research on the word “Line.” I had no idea there were so many words that have “line” in them … that have a great deal to do with being successful. Let me give you a few examples:
- Discipline – Discipline and success go hand in hand. You cannot have one without the other.
- Streamline – The successful companies today are doing everything they can to streamline operations. Complicated policies, procedures, rules and regulations are being simplified, replaced or deleted. Subtraction (simplifying) is the exercise of genius … addition (complicating) is the exercise of fools … so streamline your operations and your life every chance you get.
- Deadline – A goal without a deadline is just a wish, so it is important to set deadlines. But also understand that a missed deadline is more than a disappointment, it is a statement to your client or boss that you can’t be counted on.
- Online – Being online can be a useful tool for productivity but also a terrible distraction to productivity if something else catches your attention … so be careful and stay focused on the task at hand.
- Guideline – If it was important enough to establish a guideline, then it should be followed.
- Bottom line – Companies that don’t make a profit will eventually fail. It is not how much money a company takes in (revenue) that will make it successful … it’s all about profitability. To sustain success, you must always control your bottom line.
- Frontline – The problem with so many companies today is those making the decisions are so far removed or have been away from the frontline for so long that they haven't a clue what the true consequences of their decisions are until it’s too late. If you want to be successful, then you need to stay as close to the frontline as possible. Get out from behind your desk and get on the frontline to see what is really going on in your company.
- Laugh line – While you are doing all of this, it is important for you to keep your sense of humor and have some fun. Any wrinkle I have on my face caused by my laughing or smiling is a welcomed wrinkle. As far as I'm concerned, laugh lines are signs you are living a happy life.
- Lifeline – You have no idea how long or short your lifeline is, so make the most of the time you have. Keep asking yourself … “Is what I am doing taking me where