In case you have not heard, on April 9th, 2014 Microsoft will no longer have Windows updates, for security patches which will leave your system open to viruses and hackers. Although many businesses have been getting rid of Windows XP for at least the last 3 years, the fact remains that as of early this year, around 500 million business computers were still running Windows XP. With April quickly approaching, here are 7 of the top reasons running Windows XP should scare any business owner right now:
1. Tons Of Viruses. There is a huge library of viruses aimed at Windows XP and limited antivirus support still available.
2. XP Is OLD (almost 12 years old!). The 1st iPod was released the same year as Windows XP. In a world where the 5th iPhone has been released, no one should be left using an O/S that pre-dates the 1st iPod!
3. Least Secure Operating System (By Far!). ALL other platforms, including Linux, all versions of Mac OS X, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are more secure than XP by a huge margin. Windows Vista is actually a far safer option (scary!).
4. Built For A Simpler Time. XP was created for a simpler world of technology. It was formatted to fit to a screen only 640 pixels wide, and it showcased IE6 as a new product. The internet was a different place when XP was developed. Smartphones were non-existent, laptops were a luxury and tablet computers were science fiction.
5. No More Band-Aids. Only so many band-aid fixes on top of each other can be effective.
6. Support Is Ending. All support of XP will end on April 9, 2014. It’s time to replace your systems now while you can plan ahead.
7. Malware Everywhere. You can continue to use XP, but with more malware than ever. XP is by far the most vulnerable platform to connect to the internet.